Easter

Easter
Lily in Autumn

Tigress by Ellen Tsagaris

Tigress by Ellen Tsagaris
This is a story of Jack the Ripper with at Twist!

Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name

Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name
This is the first of a trilogy retelling the true story of the infamous countess as a youn adult novel. History is not always what it seems.

Wild Horse Runs Free

Wild Horse Runs Free
A Historical Novel by Ellen Tsagaris

With Love From Tin Lizzie

With Love From Tin Lizzie
Metal Heads, Metal Dolls, Mechanical Dolls and Automatons

Google+ Followers

The Legend of Tugfest

The Legend of Tugfest
Dr. E is the Editor and A Contributor; proceeds to aid the Buffalo Bill Museum

Emma

Emma

Like My Spider

Like My Spider
It's Halloween!

Moth

Moth
Our Friend

Little Girl with Doll

Little Girl with Doll
16th C. Doll

A Jury of her Peeps

A Jury of her Peeps
"Peep Show" shadow box

Crowded Conditions

Crowded Conditions

Follow by Email

Opie Cat's Ancestors

Opie Cat's Ancestors
Current Cat still Sleeps on Victorian Doll Bed with Dolls!

First Thanksgiving Dinner

First Thanksgiving Dinner
Included goose and swan on the menu!

Autumn Still Life

Autumn Still Life
public domain

Boadicea

Boadicea
The Original Bodacious Woman

Angel Monument

Angel Monument

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.

Kiowa Doll

Kiowa Doll

Sketch of children playing

Sketch of children playing
Courtesy, British Museum

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.

Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth

Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth

A Goddess

A Goddess

Labels

  • I (1)

Search This Blog

Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Julie and Julia, Memoirs, and Blogs

I am full of projects these days, and very sick, of course. I've tried to beat sinusitis, which I refer to as "Sylvia Plath Disease" with natural remedies and OTC pills. Mainly, I try to rest, which is not possible.

Over the last few weeks, I did finish Julie and Julia, and watched a lot of the Julia Child shows on PBS, especially where she cooks with Master Chefs. I see why she allegedly did not like the Julie/Julia project. It must be hard to create something for as many years as Ms. Child spent creating her cookbooks and recipes, really, her persona, and then have someone come along and cook it all in one year, foul language, maggoty kitchen, crudites [and I don't mean h'ordeurves], marital issues and ego, and all. Yet, I'm doing to the author of the Julie/Julia book, even as anyone who writes a one page review of a book that took months, maybe years, and several hundred pages to write.

I found the film an inspiration, and really, it encouraged me to start blogging. It also got me seriously into cooking and experimenting. In fact, I have to say I had the same experience making mayonnaise as she did; it wasn't Child's recipe, I'm sure it was me, but I'm opting for Hellman's and the jar from now on.

In fact, let me say, it is "hell, Man!" making mayonnaise from scratch.

But, I found the book sad, and disturbing, and I found her allusions to Jack the Ripper, there, and in her book on Butchery, even more upsetting, and I'm someone who teaches law and criminal justice, writes about it all, and reads about serial killers to go to sleep at night. She also could have anasthetized the lobsters, but that's besides the point I guess. The follow-up to the book is even more depressing to me, and then, she seemed to stop the blog, or at least, I think so when I looked for it.

My dear husband is making syrup to pour over my melomacarona or Greek honey cookies as I type. It is made of equal parts honey, sugar, hot water, and a little brandy. It is poured over a butter based cookie with a lot of butter and cake flour in the dough, flavored with orange juice. You then sprinkle them with chopped nuts and sugar/cinnamon, or even sesame. My mother in law likes them; my mom was very good at them, and as M. In Law, points out, my mom's were better though mine are good. C'est la guerre; it's true. But, my mom made them all of her life, nearly 65 years of cookie baking, and I made them about five times, usually with her. I hate cooking on my own.

Time to haul out of bed and try to get dressed. I am looking for plants for spring, and some potted tulips and hyacinth are out. My indoor begonias and geranimum are thriving; orchids and poinsettias are holding on, and one umbrella plant wants to dry out, but I'm surprised I can keep them going.

I want spring to come very badly, though I am still hanging evergreens outside, and my holly is in its glory. Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment