Once again, it's been one of those days. We are laid waste by snow, ice, freezing rain, you name it. Below zero temps and wind chills, snow and more snow and more snow. We have more or less been stuck inside for two days, and of course, it could be much worse.
I got stuck four times today; needed help twice. At least three neighbors followed in my wake. My husband had to come get me with his big On guard Security Truck. He was right; I shouldn't have gone out, but I had errands and things to check on.
The trees had robins frolicking in them, and another had a red headed woodpecker. All of them were chirping. My squirrels were waiting for their daily dose of cat food. I was using a generic store brand, but I have to go to meow mix. They aren't that fond of the generic brand. It was too cold for me, but I felt sorry of them. I keep a basket with towels, and other little places of shelter under my carport for whatever might need it. So far, I know a fox sleeps there sometimes. It is too cold for them to stray far from their den, too.
Lately, I commiserate with the wild things out there. I have been feeling trapped and cold, and I don't like it.
![]() |
| They are hard to see but there are robins frolicking in the snow iced trees. |
On another subject, I noticed the Save the Food.com commercials and went to their website. They offer tips on meal planning and also recipes. One section is "stems, bones, and everything in between." There are tips for using cheese rinds and overripe fruit, browning food and stale food, even sour milk.
It's worth a shot; I hate waste, and do my best not to. I share food with my friends, cook food to freeze, but again, if it is something that could really make us sick, I don't cook with it. I know people with food that's over five years old in the freezer or fridge, and they think nothing of it. They make applesauce with wormy apples, leave food overnight in the oven and eat it. I don't do that. I hold to, "when in doubt,"throw it out."
So, stay safe, don't slip. Use a broom to sweep the snow, or a snow thrower, or hire someone. Don't become a heart attack stat. A few years ago, when my dad first got sick, I tried to shovel. I felt my asthma coming on and couldn't breathe, but I didn't stop. I turned around and there stood my neighbor's son. I jumped. "Mom said I had to help you." He was sixty at the time. So, we shoveled a while. "Are you OK," he said? "Yeah, it's just this asthma." "I know," he said, I have a stint.
"PUT THE SHOVEL DOWN!!!!"
I went inside and called the snow removal service.
Be safe.




No comments:
Post a Comment