Easter

Easter
Lily in Autumn

Tigress by Ellen Tsagaris

Tigress by Ellen Tsagaris
This is a story of Jack the Ripper with at Twist!

Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name

Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name
This is the first of a trilogy retelling the true story of the infamous countess as a youn adult novel. History is not always what it seems.

Wild Horse Runs Free

Wild Horse Runs Free
A Historical Novel by Ellen Tsagaris

With Love From Tin Lizzie

With Love From Tin Lizzie
Metal Heads, Metal Dolls, Mechanical Dolls and Automatons

The Legend of Tugfest

The Legend of Tugfest
Dr. E is the Editor and A Contributor; proceeds to aid the Buffalo Bill Museum

Emma

Emma

Like My Spider

Like My Spider
It's Halloween!

Moth

Moth
Our Friend

Little Girl with Doll

Little Girl with Doll
16th C. Doll

A Jury of her Peeps

A Jury of her Peeps
"Peep Show" shadow box

Crowded Conditions

Crowded Conditions

Opie Cat's Ancestors

Opie Cat's Ancestors
Current Cat still Sleeps on Victorian Doll Bed with Dolls!

First Thanksgiving Dinner

First Thanksgiving Dinner
Included goose and swan on the menu!

Autumn Still Life

Autumn Still Life
public domain

Boadicea

Boadicea
The Original Bodacious Woman

Angel Monument

Angel Monument

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Kiowa Doll

Kiowa Doll

Sketch of children playing

Sketch of children playing
Courtesy, British Museum

Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth

Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth

A Goddess

A Goddess

Labels

  • I (1)

Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, February 17, 2020

Guest Blogger; Dr. David Levy


Skyward for February 2020.

Something old, something new…Eureka instead of Echo.

This is the story of my first telescope, of the comet it did not discover and which later collided with Jupiter, and the telescope that replaced it.  Although this story has been building for almost sixty years, it came to a head last fall.   First, in late October, I got myself a brand-new reflector telescope.  It is a 12-inch diameter reflector, with a fast f/5 focal ratio, which means that at low power I can get well over a degree field of sky when I gaze through it.  That means more than two Moon-diameters.  I had some difficulty setting up the new telescope, and needed some help, but when it finally was ready, the views were a wonder to behold and a true joy.
I named the new telescope Eureka, after an asteroid I discovered, at Palomar with Henry Holt, in June of 1990.  The asteroid turned out to be orbiting at the L5 point (LaGrangian 5) in Mars’s orbit, as has been that way for much of the life of the solar system.  The asteroid is the first known Martian trojan, and our proposed name, Eureka, was accepted as an expression of joy in making a discovery.  It was named for Archimedes’ expression of delight after discovering how objects displace water, and how he leapt out of his bathtub and ran down the street yelling Eureka! (There is nothing in the story that suggested that Archimedes bothered to dry off and dress before he darted outside.) For my new telescope Eureka’s first light, (see last month’s column) I chose Jupiter, which is my choice for first light objects ever since September 1, 1960.
That brings me to the second telescope, named Echo after a large passive communications satellite launched on August 12, 1960. Echo was my very first telescope, and it was the telescope through which I looked at Jupiter for the first time on that far-off night. On that distant night, Mom and Dad were with me and they were excited as well.  An entirely new world was opening up for me, a world that has remained open and inviting ever since.  For a few years it was my only telescope, replaced only when I upgraded to a 5-inch telescope while I was a patient at the Jewish National Home for Asthmatic Children in Denver, and an 8-inch a year later. Over the years Echo has provided a wealth of happy nights under the stars.
On Thursday evening, November 7, 2019, I formally donated Echo, my first telescope, to the Linda Hall Library of Science, Engineering, and Technology in Kansas City, along with more of my observing records.  Echo began its new life that very evening.  Under a clear sky, some people got the chance to look at the Moon through Echo,  which still functions well after 59 years.  May Echo get a lot of use at this wonderful library, one of the largest science libraries in the world.
All this brings me to the point of this article, that Eureka is instead of Echo.  After all these years I wanted a powerful telescope to replace my first telescope.  With Eureka, I now have that telescope.  Every time I look through it, my mind is filled with the magic and delight of that long-gone evening[DL1]  when I first set up a telescope and looked at Jupiter.  On that night I saw Jupiter, its belts, and its four big moons.  One thing I did not see, and neither did anybody else, was a small comet moving close to the planet.  That comet would remain undetected until March 23, 1993, when Gene and Carolyn Shoemaker and I set up a night’s observing at Palomar that would include the field that revealed this comet.  It was reported on the 25th.     Sixteen months later, this comet, now known as Shoemaker-Levy 9, collided with Jupiter in the most dramatic explosions ever witnessed by humanity.  May Eureka, instead of Echo, also reach for the stars.


2:  Eureka, my latest telescope.  If you look carefully you might
catch Venus at the top center.


Picture: 1:  Wendee and Echo, from White Sands National Monument.
Photo by David Levy.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment