Easter
Lily in Autumn
Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name
With Love From Tin Lizzie
Metal Heads, Metal Dolls, Mechanical Dolls and Automatons
The Legend of Tugfest
Dr. E is the Editor and A Contributor; proceeds to aid the Buffalo Bill Museum
Emma
Like My Spider
It's Halloween!
Moth
Our Friend
Little Girl with Doll
16th C. Doll
A Jury of her Peeps
"Peep Show" shadow box
Crowded Conditions
Opie Cat's Ancestors
Current Cat still Sleeps on Victorian Doll Bed with Dolls!
First Thanksgiving Dinner
Included goose and swan on the menu!
Autumn Still Life
public domain
Boadicea
The Original Bodacious Woman
Angel Monument
Popular Posts
-
Belated Happy St. Patrick's Day. I have been too sick to enjoy one of my favorite holidays. I didn't even get corned beef, or to w...
-
It is the Solstice, Blessed Be. As they days grow slowly longer, may we also grow to love one another and to learn to live in peace. Holi...
-
Memoir; Writing your Life Story: Solstice, also for Dr. E's Greening Tips for the C... : It is the Solstice; Blessed Be! I look forwar...
-
Happy Halloween; it is my favorite night of the year! We were low key this year, but we did get out our graveyards and pumpkins. A scarecr...
-
Pasta with Mushroom Veloute Sauce, garnished with Hard Boiled Eggs One lb. pasta 2 hardboiled eggs One 6 ounce can cream of chicken sou...
-
Proclamation of Thanksgiving Washington, D.C. October 3, 1863 This is the proclamation which set the precedent for America's national...
-
Look closely at how delicate I am. I am probably a may fly, but I am as detailed as the scarabs from an Egyptian royal tomb. No one a...
-
Top Five Favorite Antique Parian Dolls | Ruby Lane Blog
Total Pageviews
Kiowa Doll
Sketch of children playing
Courtesy, British Museum
Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth
A Goddess
Labels
- I (1)
Search This Blog
Pages
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Heloise's Hints
This was one of my favorite columns when I was growing up. I read her and Dear Abbly faithfully in the old Argus, as we knew it then, with a Roundup and recipes and society section everyday. Here is a letter written to her which is in public domain, and also some public domain photos. I am also including some varieties of the black flowers we love so much.
Hints From Heloise: A life made easier
Text Size PrintE-mailReprintsBy Heloise, Published: December 30King Dear Heloise: It was such a tremendous pleasure meeting the woman who has been so quietly influential in my life. (Readers: I was doing two seminars at a women’s conference in Austin. Sireesha was at one of them. — Heloise) Because of you, my mother, who immigrated to the United States 40 years ago, learned ALL THE TRICKS of traditional American households. Let me explain.
Moving here was no easy task for my mother, Raju, who left all the comforts of home and her own “mother’s tips” to embark on a journey from India to this land, half a world away. She did not grow up using some of the commonly used household items and was unaware of many things that American families had generationally passed down. It wasn’t until she came across her new friend Heloise’s column that she began to feel just a little closer to making this home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment