This is the first piece in a series dedicated to great doll collections and collectors of the past. I would also like to cover in the future my friend, Mary Hillier, John Noble, Aunt Len's Doll Museum, Eleanor St. George and others. I would like to reference for this blog the December 1599 National Geographic which talked about Samuel F. Pryor's noted doll collection. Pryor was the vice president and assistant tohe prsident for Pan Am for some time. He was famous both as a man who collected dolls, and for his large collection of over 2500 dolls from 84 different countries. The article he wrote is classic, and I can't imagine its worth today. He had founded a National Doll Library Foundation, but in the early 80s, the collection was sold by Sotheby's when he died. I think Vogue did a feature story on the sale, and I have the issue in storage. At the end of his life, the colletion grew to 8000 dolls. Readers Digest also wrote aboutt he dolls. There is a good article about him on the site Historically Speaking, www.greenwichlibrary.org/blog/historically-speaking/2010/08/the-pryor-doll-collection.
What fascinates me about this article is the narrative about how we travelled all over the world, sometimes in obscure places, to find dolls. He also notes many other imortant male collectors including Eugene Field, Guy Mollet, former Premier of France, music critic Deems Taylor, a greek Ambassador, and a government scientist. He may have also bought Janet Pagter Johl's collection after her untimely death. Pryor discusses a set of fantastic puppets from the Bangkok's Thieves Market, and a 350 year old doll from Kamakura, Japan. There is a fantastic Samurai doll, complete with uniforms and swords and a descpription of a rare Leopard Man doll, fetish from a secret African society Mr. Pryor's son traded a Swiss knife for. The range of dolls Pryor describes is breathtaking, to say the least. On some occasions, eh let the dolls be exhibited at world fairs and at other museums. He finally retired to Hawaii. At one worlds fair, plans to exhibit the dolls fell through. The correspondence an documenation are online at www.worldsfaircommunity.ort/topic/4656-pryor-doll-collection-the-exhibit-that-wasnt.
Also, Pryor was a good friend of Charles Lindburgh, and they are both buried at the Palapala Ho'omau cemetery. You can see the graves and church at www.pbase.comgosilands/2003_08_30_kipahulu. Pryor's pet gibbons, six of them, are buried there, too. Pryor's son, Sam Pryor III has written a book about his father and his life. It is called Samule F. Pryor and Son. The family was originally from Greenwich, CT, and was known for giving some singular and eccentric Xmas cards, postmarked from places like Santa Claus, OH. Jr. writes that the doll collection came from his dad's love of people, a reason Anne Rice gives for loving dolls in Taltos. It's a good one.
Easter
Lily in Autumn
Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name
With Love From Tin Lizzie
Metal Heads, Metal Dolls, Mechanical Dolls and Automatons
The Legend of Tugfest
Dr. E is the Editor and A Contributor; proceeds to aid the Buffalo Bill Museum
Emma
Like My Spider
It's Halloween!
Moth
Our Friend
Little Girl with Doll
16th C. Doll
A Jury of her Peeps
"Peep Show" shadow box
Crowded Conditions
Opie Cat's Ancestors
Current Cat still Sleeps on Victorian Doll Bed with Dolls!
First Thanksgiving Dinner
Included goose and swan on the menu!
Autumn Still Life
public domain
Boadicea
The Original Bodacious Woman
Angel Monument
Popular Posts
-
Belated Happy St. Patrick's Day. I have been too sick to enjoy one of my favorite holidays. I didn't even get corned beef, or to w...
-
It is the Solstice, Blessed Be. As they days grow slowly longer, may we also grow to love one another and to learn to live in peace. Holi...
-
Memoir; Writing your Life Story: Solstice, also for Dr. E's Greening Tips for the C... : It is the Solstice; Blessed Be! I look forwar...
-
Happy Halloween; it is my favorite night of the year! We were low key this year, but we did get out our graveyards and pumpkins. A scarecr...
-
Pasta with Mushroom Veloute Sauce, garnished with Hard Boiled Eggs One lb. pasta 2 hardboiled eggs One 6 ounce can cream of chicken sou...
-
Proclamation of Thanksgiving Washington, D.C. October 3, 1863 This is the proclamation which set the precedent for America's national...
-
Look closely at how delicate I am. I am probably a may fly, but I am as detailed as the scarabs from an Egyptian royal tomb. No one a...
-
Top Five Favorite Antique Parian Dolls | Ruby Lane Blog
Total Pageviews
Kiowa Doll
Sketch of children playing
Courtesy, British Museum
Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth
A Goddess
Labels
- I (1)
No comments:
Post a Comment