Well, I'm not proud of it, but tonight, I was watching Futurama with my 12 year old son. One of the lines tonight went something like, if it's not fun, it must be environmentalism. It was cute, I must say. Are we too serious about being green? Do we forget to have fun? When I was little, it was ecoloby and e-day that mattered. We had a lot of fun cleaning up the school grounds, planting flowers, studying the environment in science class, studying natural resources of different countries in social studies, it was really fun. I'm not sure when everything got so serious. I found some materials I had from Earth Day a few years ago, called Pulp Fashion, which featured a fashion show of clothes made from recycled materials. I loved the business suit made of old lawyers briefs, and yes, even briefs made of briefs. We don't have things like that any more. I used to like to use dried leaves to make collages, and I layered them to make paper doll dresses. It's a shame this kind of nature craft is a dying art.
On the bright side, the Chinook is in the air this week, and the snow, several feet of it, is slowly melting, which is good. Maybe the rivers won't swell to overflowing. Nature can be overwhelming; The Weather Channel teaches us that, but so does good writing. A good travel diary inspires one to admire natural attractions of all kinds, and nature writers like Annie Dillard bring a whole new perspective to all things natural. I just finished Harlan Coben's The Woods, and he really caputred the feeling of the forest being itself alive, The Forest Primeval, as Longfellow said. The Woods became another character for Coben, and they loomed, and skulked, and expressed themselves. It was a little haunted wood from The Wizard of OZ in a good way.
I also heard birds chirp today, and am looking for those robins. Hope everyone is well. Till next time.
Easter
Lily in Autumn
Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name
With Love From Tin Lizzie
Metal Heads, Metal Dolls, Mechanical Dolls and Automatons
The Legend of Tugfest
Dr. E is the Editor and A Contributor; proceeds to aid the Buffalo Bill Museum
Emma
Like My Spider
It's Halloween!
Moth
Our Friend
Little Girl with Doll
16th C. Doll
A Jury of her Peeps
"Peep Show" shadow box
Crowded Conditions
Opie Cat's Ancestors
Current Cat still Sleeps on Victorian Doll Bed with Dolls!
First Thanksgiving Dinner
Included goose and swan on the menu!
Autumn Still Life
public domain
Boadicea
The Original Bodacious Woman
Angel Monument
Popular Posts
-
Belated Happy St. Patrick's Day. I have been too sick to enjoy one of my favorite holidays. I didn't even get corned beef, or to w...
-
It is the Solstice, Blessed Be. As they days grow slowly longer, may we also grow to love one another and to learn to live in peace. Holi...
-
Memoir; Writing your Life Story: Solstice, also for Dr. E's Greening Tips for the C... : It is the Solstice; Blessed Be! I look forwar...
-
Happy Halloween; it is my favorite night of the year! We were low key this year, but we did get out our graveyards and pumpkins. A scarecr...
-
Pasta with Mushroom Veloute Sauce, garnished with Hard Boiled Eggs One lb. pasta 2 hardboiled eggs One 6 ounce can cream of chicken sou...
-
Proclamation of Thanksgiving Washington, D.C. October 3, 1863 This is the proclamation which set the precedent for America's national...
-
Look closely at how delicate I am. I am probably a may fly, but I am as detailed as the scarabs from an Egyptian royal tomb. No one a...
-
Top Five Favorite Antique Parian Dolls | Ruby Lane Blog
Total Pageviews
Kiowa Doll
Sketch of children playing
Courtesy, British Museum
Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth
A Goddess
Labels
- I (1)
No comments:
Post a Comment