Death of a Centipede
It seems I am destined to be a hospice hostess to disabled,
aged insects and small animals. The
centipede that was retired in the sink of my new offices’ bathroom expired
today. Memorial Day, I fostered a
monarch that had hit a car but survived, only to die later in the box room I
fixed it, complete with fruit nectar and butterfly flowers.
When I taught at a community college years ago, a box elder
bug lived on my console; it seemed like the same but kept me company for more
than a year. Twenty years later, I’m
tempted to go find it.
About ten years ago, I saved a Polyphemus moth and returned
it to its trees behind my school. About
the same time, tiny fruit bats found their way into my classroom, and hung
upside down from the sprinklers. One
slept this way on the sprinkler outside my office. My students said I channeled them with my
Anne Rice books and my vampires. Oh
well.
I’ve tried to return and save baby birds to their nest, and
once save a rabbit. Another time, it was
an ungrateful baby mouse that bared its nasty little teeth at me as I lowered
it gently to the other side of our fence, into a field full of its own kind.
Two weeks ago, almost, a was holding a tiny kitten, a little
stray that tried scratching its way into a house. We all thought she would be fine, adorable
cuddled on her little blanket, but she quietly stopped breathing. This was the hardest to take.
No comments:
Post a Comment