I can swear that I remember President Reagan once
advertising 20 Mule Team Borax during a commercial that played in the middle of
“Death Valley Days.” It is possible,
Borax has been around since 1891, six years before my grandpa was born, but the
same year that his eldest brother, “Grandpa George” to me, was born.
![]() |
| Lenci Dolls being Domestic, courtesy Theriault's |
The back of the box has tips for further use, though I use
it in laundry. I have to do several
loads a day sometimes, always heavily soiled. It works, and leaves a fresh
smell. Here are some of its uses:
- Toilet Bowls; no kidding! I’ve heard Coke works, too. Sprinkle ¼ c Borax into bowl, then swish with your favorite toilet brush. Let stand 30 mins or overnight. Keep closed, in case you have a dog or curious cat.
- Baby clothes: Soak in ½ c of Borax and warm water. Do a hot/warm water wash. Add another ½ with regular detergent. [For the record, I am not a good washerwoman; I guess].
- Laundry Stains including tomato sauce, oil/grease, grass, the proverbial ground in dirt; add 1 TBSP Borax per gallon of water or ½ in washer.
Presoak “at
least” 30 mins before wash.
·
Garbage Disposal/Drains: Sprinkle 2 or 2 TBSPs
in disposal or drain. Let stand at least
15 mins. Flush with water for a few seconds, disposal on.
·
Delicates: use ¼ c Borax. Dissolve Borax and 1-2 TBSPs of detergent in
basin of warm water. Soak for 20
mins. Rinse in cool water. Blot with towel, dry flat.
·
Rugs: ½ c dissolved in 1 pint water. Sponge on, wait ½ hours, rinse well. Let dry and vacuum.
There are lots of other uses, I’m sure. Wash doll clothes following instructions for
delicates. Per box, it still does not
cost as much. The manufacturer also
recommends it for laundry boosting, bathroom cleaning in general, and kitchen
cleaning in general.

No comments:
Post a Comment