Amid feisty cats and parents who won't behave, I am watching Jacques Pepin cook, today "economically." His best idea was to save all the leavings and scrapings from vegetables not used, e.g., tomato skins, celery ends, carrot scrapings and onion skins, freeze them, then use them in soup stock. I like this idea, and I I know many cooks save seafood shells and lobster tails to make a base for fish stews, and also, chicken and beef bones for other soups. It does work. Throw it in with water, and we have the basic definition of soup. Remember the story "Stone Soup?" Add a pinch of this and that, and pretty soon it's dinner.
He made lentil stews with pork necks, though as he said, nearly any meat would do. Again, it was a combination of lentils, spices, and the meat. His directions are on his website; find it on PBS.org, or Google him.
His recipes work, and are very practical, and not difficult. He also gave a couple tips for boiling and peeling eggs, something I have issues with. He boils eggs in a "gentle boil", and before he drops in the eggs, he pierces the ends a little bit. then, he takes them out and dips them in ice water. This makes them easier to peel. He also said that, because of alkaline, too fresh eggs won't peel well. Eggs kept for a couple of days, will He boils them for six mins., and they become sort of "hard" poached, but not hard boiled eggs.
Next on PBS, "Sarah's Weeknight Meal" where she does a pasta carbonara with crumbled toast, bake bacon, and beaten eggs.
Also, my whole life I've tried to make meringues and to beat egg whites stiff. I just can't do it. I'm interested in any tips from anyone on how to do this. Needless to say, I can't even attempt soufflees, though my friend Pryor had Julia Child's chocolate souflee down a science!!
Easter
Lily in Autumn
Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name
With Love From Tin Lizzie
Metal Heads, Metal Dolls, Mechanical Dolls and Automatons
The Legend of Tugfest
Dr. E is the Editor and A Contributor; proceeds to aid the Buffalo Bill Museum
Emma
Like My Spider
It's Halloween!
Moth
Our Friend
Little Girl with Doll
16th C. Doll
A Jury of her Peeps
"Peep Show" shadow box
Crowded Conditions
Opie Cat's Ancestors
Current Cat still Sleeps on Victorian Doll Bed with Dolls!
First Thanksgiving Dinner
Included goose and swan on the menu!
Autumn Still Life
public domain
Boadicea
The Original Bodacious Woman
Angel Monument
Popular Posts
-
Belated Happy St. Patrick's Day. I have been too sick to enjoy one of my favorite holidays. I didn't even get corned beef, or to w...
-
It is the Solstice, Blessed Be. As they days grow slowly longer, may we also grow to love one another and to learn to live in peace. Holi...
-
Memoir; Writing your Life Story: Solstice, also for Dr. E's Greening Tips for the C... : It is the Solstice; Blessed Be! I look forwar...
-
Happy Halloween; it is my favorite night of the year! We were low key this year, but we did get out our graveyards and pumpkins. A scarecr...
-
Pasta with Mushroom Veloute Sauce, garnished with Hard Boiled Eggs One lb. pasta 2 hardboiled eggs One 6 ounce can cream of chicken sou...
-
Proclamation of Thanksgiving Washington, D.C. October 3, 1863 This is the proclamation which set the precedent for America's national...
-
Look closely at how delicate I am. I am probably a may fly, but I am as detailed as the scarabs from an Egyptian royal tomb. No one a...
-
Top Five Favorite Antique Parian Dolls | Ruby Lane Blog
Total Pageviews
Kiowa Doll
Sketch of children playing
Courtesy, British Museum
Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth
A Goddess
Labels
- I (1)






No comments:
Post a Comment