Easter

Easter
Lily in Autumn

Tigress by Ellen Tsagaris

Tigress by Ellen Tsagaris
This is a story of Jack the Ripper with at Twist!

Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name

Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name
This is the first of a trilogy retelling the true story of the infamous countess as a youn adult novel. History is not always what it seems.

Wild Horse Runs Free

Wild Horse Runs Free
A Historical Novel by Ellen Tsagaris

With Love From Tin Lizzie

With Love From Tin Lizzie
Metal Heads, Metal Dolls, Mechanical Dolls and Automatons

Google+ Followers

The Legend of Tugfest

The Legend of Tugfest
Dr. E is the Editor and A Contributor; proceeds to aid the Buffalo Bill Museum

Emma

Emma

Like My Spider

Like My Spider
It's Halloween!

Moth

Moth
Our Friend

Little Girl with Doll

Little Girl with Doll
16th C. Doll

A Jury of her Peeps

A Jury of her Peeps
"Peep Show" shadow box

Crowded Conditions

Crowded Conditions

Follow by Email

Opie Cat's Ancestors

Opie Cat's Ancestors
Current Cat still Sleeps on Victorian Doll Bed with Dolls!

First Thanksgiving Dinner

First Thanksgiving Dinner
Included goose and swan on the menu!

Autumn Still Life

Autumn Still Life
public domain

Boadicea

Boadicea
The Original Bodacious Woman

Angel Monument

Angel Monument

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.

Kiowa Doll

Kiowa Doll

Sketch of children playing

Sketch of children playing
Courtesy, British Museum

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.

Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth

Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth

A Goddess

A Goddess

Labels

  • I (1)

Search This Blog

Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Nearly Halloween

My favorite day approches; thought I should blog while I can still move my right hand and fingers. What did you do Halloween? I'd love to hear. I always have to stop and think of Boadicea and the old Celts; I wonder if the air was crisp and clear for her, and if she watched squirrels gather nuts while she prepared for her campaigns. Were there similar flora and fauna in her world? I would have to look it up. I will look it up--when I have time. Did she take comfort from her bonfires, and did she wear a mask on Samhain to hide from the embittered spirit of Prasutagus?

The apples seem tarter and crisper this time of year, and the memories are elegiac. It was a ritual to put up simple Halloween cutouts, some storebought, and some homemade. I had a construction paper Anne Boleyn in profile that I made, black dress with a B, carrying her head. I was about nine. Precocious, yet morbid. :) I still have her, and the round faced orange witch with the pointed hat and yellow construction paper hair. There is a battered articulated skeleton named Prunella who is nearly 40 years old, and she wears a tattred red polka dot doll dress with peter pan collar that came from my first compo doll, Arranbees life-sized Littlest Angel. The dots are gold metalic. There are the little wax Gurley candles of witches and owls, some purchased for a nickel at our old Novelty Shack gift shop. I have Herbie, the realistic rubber bat my mom embellished with sequins and rhinestonres. I wore him on my shoulder with a black turtleneck and black skirt and tights. I carried a McD's pumpkin as a purse, and sent to a party with white make up and lipstick scars all over my face and hands. Spooky eye make up, too.

Last year,I was the Black Dahlia; I was in one piece, but the dressed duplicate doll I wore as a set of brooches was not, and of course, there was a black silk dahlia in my long dark hair.

This year, I am going as the Countess Bathory. I have a lock Maleficient type cape, and a printed gothic vamp blouse, and long velvet skirt,Betsey Johnson spider necklaces and jewels, and a series of other accesories.

Other costumes; age 4, Lampchop [I still love her]; Age 5, a Greek Gypsy, made by my mom and grandma, Age 6 Raggedy Ann with an Awsome mask, but homemade costume made by my mom. I carried my doll; Age 7, an angel, I bought that one, Age 8; appiqued witch by mom; age 9, authentic Spanish Gypsy, outfit from Spain that sumemr; age 10; Little House on the Praire; mom made it, and even did the bonnet; age 11; A vampire with another killer mask and a red silk Greel shawl over my witch dress. Age 12; Anne Boleyn, with a fantastic portrait mask we made from a brown paper bag. I would have one first in the Sunday School Halloween party, but was disqualified for using sequins and chiffon cloth on her French hood. The gown was my mom's old formal. Age 13, another vampire,t his time with teeth and make up, no mask.

After that, I stayed home, and dressed in organge and black, later Halloween sweaters, and gave out candy, or went to the movies.

Antoher uear, in law school, I dressed as my favorite professor, which wasn't hard. I looked alot like her and loved earing red and black like she did.

In grad school, I meant to be Sylvia Plath, but was sickon Oct. 29th three years in a row; didn't get to go many places.

So, there it is. I love Halloween and always have a pumpkin or gourd out, no matter the time of year. I lovet he costumes, and the simple window decorations and pumpkins of my childhod. We sued to go out int he country for caramel apples, antique stores, and big pumpkins. I was devasted one hear when the kids across the street decided to smash mine; I was able to recycle part of it.

That black dress my mom did was recycled into many costumes, including Morgan Le Fey and an Anglo Saxon woman at our old Medieval 12th Night Banquets. I wore the Littel House dress at school affairs, and in college with a heavy seater over it and boots, and the red polka dot gypsy dress was my outfit on the college spanish club homecoming float.

I miss those days, and my mother. NOw, I decorate her grave with Halloween colors, and the little knick knacks we both loved. My son is getting too old to Trick or Treat, though we do simple backyard haunted houses, and he does want a Domo costume.

Simple is best, and I have favortie house that are decorated with just a few pumpkins and scarecrows, and others that are brilliant with lights and animatrons. I love them all.

Happy, Save All Hallows Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment