We have been sharing the last of our summer vegetables at work. I used some gifted tomatoes last night in a new twist on vegetarian lasagna. I used the recipe on the Barilla no boil noodles, but did not add meat. Instead, I picked fresh basil, sliced homegrown tomatoes, and red pepper. I laid them in between the layers of cheese mixture and sauce, and baked as directed, about 45 mins. I also blended Mexican shredded cheese, Greek Mdzithra from a local coop, parmesan from a family cheese factory in Wisconsin, and ricotta. It was excellent, and the vegetables really added flavor. I'd like to try it with egg plant, or mushrooms, portabellas, cooked carrots, fresh green beans. I was very "how Martha are you?" last night. Besides the lasagna, I made brownies, albeit from a mix, but it was the economical dollar mix I picked up as a special at Walgreens. Very good, and lots of brownies. I also baked croissants, and pigs-in-blankets for my boys from what we had on hand in the fridge.
My cat just tried to blog, and marked my netbook with his teeth; I guess he is now a literati. Have been recycling books and other small objects among my kids at school, and also to some schools in AZ. We've also built our holiday baskets from crafts and gently used objects, and couple of handmade cookbooks and book guides.
With the holidays on hand, perhaps handmade is best. Times are still tough for many, and lots of craft patterns and magazines with ideas abound,not just retial, but also at library sales, often for ten cents or less, or even free. I have a friend who loves all kinds of magazines, as do I. Her favorite gift is a collection I've gathered and sent book rate, no less. She loves the antique newsletters and newspapers that go out free at various shows.
Now is a great time to think about what you do well; do you draw,sew, needlepoint? Is there a crafter on your list? I love to put kits together for my friends who craft and collect, often from extras left from my own projects. I decorate a box, or make a pretty basket, add some candy, or a packet of flavored cocoa, or tea, and a pretty bow. I miss my friend Park, who made gorgeous gift bows to top our baskets with. She was quite an artist. But, anyone can tie a fancy knot, and string beads, or baubles on it.
Another friend loves vintage Christmas glass balls, "kugels," and I find them for her at many thrift stores and yard sales. The holidays are about remembrance and giving, not ostenatation and bankruptcy. My holidays were about decorating, and baking my mom's recipes, and making cards and handmade gifts. I pass on the idea to you.
Also, in this season of Roshashanna and Yom Kippur, Happy New Year to my friends, Ida, Howard, and Lori. More tips next time, but look up Hints from Heloise when you can. I loved that column. And as a foil, read some Erma Bombeck. It certainly won't hurt!
Easter
Lily in Autumn
Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name
With Love From Tin Lizzie
Metal Heads, Metal Dolls, Mechanical Dolls and Automatons
The Legend of Tugfest
Dr. E is the Editor and A Contributor; proceeds to aid the Buffalo Bill Museum
Emma
Like My Spider
It's Halloween!
Moth
Our Friend
Little Girl with Doll
16th C. Doll
A Jury of her Peeps
"Peep Show" shadow box
Crowded Conditions
Opie Cat's Ancestors
Current Cat still Sleeps on Victorian Doll Bed with Dolls!
First Thanksgiving Dinner
Included goose and swan on the menu!
Autumn Still Life
public domain
Boadicea
The Original Bodacious Woman
Angel Monument
Popular Posts
-
Belated Happy St. Patrick's Day. I have been too sick to enjoy one of my favorite holidays. I didn't even get corned beef, or to w...
-
It is the Solstice, Blessed Be. As they days grow slowly longer, may we also grow to love one another and to learn to live in peace. Holi...
-
Memoir; Writing your Life Story: Solstice, also for Dr. E's Greening Tips for the C... : It is the Solstice; Blessed Be! I look forwar...
-
Happy Halloween; it is my favorite night of the year! We were low key this year, but we did get out our graveyards and pumpkins. A scarecr...
-
Pasta with Mushroom Veloute Sauce, garnished with Hard Boiled Eggs One lb. pasta 2 hardboiled eggs One 6 ounce can cream of chicken sou...
-
Proclamation of Thanksgiving Washington, D.C. October 3, 1863 This is the proclamation which set the precedent for America's national...
-
Look closely at how delicate I am. I am probably a may fly, but I am as detailed as the scarabs from an Egyptian royal tomb. No one a...
-
Top Five Favorite Antique Parian Dolls | Ruby Lane Blog
Total Pageviews
Kiowa Doll
Sketch of children playing
Courtesy, British Museum
Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth
A Goddess
Labels
- I (1)
No comments:
Post a Comment