Easter

Easter
Lily in Autumn

Tigress by Ellen Tsagaris

Tigress by Ellen Tsagaris
This is a story of Jack the Ripper with at Twist!

Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name

Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name
This is the first of a trilogy retelling the true story of the infamous countess as a youn adult novel. History is not always what it seems.

Wild Horse Runs Free

Wild Horse Runs Free
A Historical Novel by Ellen Tsagaris

With Love From Tin Lizzie

With Love From Tin Lizzie
Metal Heads, Metal Dolls, Mechanical Dolls and Automatons

Google+ Followers

The Legend of Tugfest

The Legend of Tugfest
Dr. E is the Editor and A Contributor; proceeds to aid the Buffalo Bill Museum

Emma

Emma

Like My Spider

Like My Spider
It's Halloween!

Moth

Moth
Our Friend

Little Girl with Doll

Little Girl with Doll
16th C. Doll

A Jury of her Peeps

A Jury of her Peeps
"Peep Show" shadow box

Crowded Conditions

Crowded Conditions

Follow by Email

Opie Cat's Ancestors

Opie Cat's Ancestors
Current Cat still Sleeps on Victorian Doll Bed with Dolls!

First Thanksgiving Dinner

First Thanksgiving Dinner
Included goose and swan on the menu!

Autumn Still Life

Autumn Still Life
public domain

Boadicea

Boadicea
The Original Bodacious Woman

Angel Monument

Angel Monument

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.

Kiowa Doll

Kiowa Doll

Sketch of children playing

Sketch of children playing
Courtesy, British Museum

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.

Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth

Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth

A Goddess

A Goddess

Labels

  • I (1)

Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, May 10, 2010

First Planting

Today was clear and cooll this morning; clouds are now moving in. I finally was able to plant my pumpkins. They are in a sunny place, with a sinister Halloween fence surrounding them and a happy wooden Jack O'Lantern spike to protect them and to indicate their location. Last year, they pumpkins did not come up in our ravine. Two years in a row were fine, but we had to fight the animals for them. I think the deer population beat us to it last year. They didn't grow on our sunny slope, either, though the gourds did. They have good soil, and it is always a good idea to rotate the soil anyway.

I have moonflowers, gourds, and my annuals left. We have a shabby chic garden, and my next door neighbor and I share plants, tools, fertilizers and garden ornaments. I am fond of my little garden, and have several plants that are cuttings from home, or from apartment gardens I had in college. Sharing cuttings this way is an economical method for adding to one's garden and for promoting flower growth. Two years in a row, I had annuals come up as perrenials; after I dumpt the dirt from the plot two autumns ago, my pansies apparently took root and came up again in the spring. Then, my poor husband mowed them over thinking they were weeds.

This year, when they sprang up again, my neighbor and I marked them with a garden spike and built a cairn of little stones around the pansies. they bloomed yellow with purple centers this year and are just great.

Tip: we like to use coffee grounds, either the free packets some Starbucks give away, or our own, to fertilize the plants. Happy Gardening, and I'd appreciate some tips on strawberries; mine are really going to town this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment