Today was clear and cooll this morning; clouds are now moving in. I finally was able to plant my pumpkins. They are in a sunny place, with a sinister Halloween fence surrounding them and a happy wooden Jack O'Lantern spike to protect them and to indicate their location. Last year, they pumpkins did not come up in our ravine. Two years in a row were fine, but we had to fight the animals for them. I think the deer population beat us to it last year. They didn't grow on our sunny slope, either, though the gourds did. They have good soil, and it is always a good idea to rotate the soil anyway.
I have moonflowers, gourds, and my annuals left. We have a shabby chic garden, and my next door neighbor and I share plants, tools, fertilizers and garden ornaments. I am fond of my little garden, and have several plants that are cuttings from home, or from apartment gardens I had in college. Sharing cuttings this way is an economical method for adding to one's garden and for promoting flower growth. Two years in a row, I had annuals come up as perrenials; after I dumpt the dirt from the plot two autumns ago, my pansies apparently took root and came up again in the spring. Then, my poor husband mowed them over thinking they were weeds.
This year, when they sprang up again, my neighbor and I marked them with a garden spike and built a cairn of little stones around the pansies. they bloomed yellow with purple centers this year and are just great.
Tip: we like to use coffee grounds, either the free packets some Starbucks give away, or our own, to fertilize the plants. Happy Gardening, and I'd appreciate some tips on strawberries; mine are really going to town this year!
Easter
Lily in Autumn
Ellen Tsagaris' The Bathory Chronicles; Vol. I Defiled is My Name
With Love From Tin Lizzie
Metal Heads, Metal Dolls, Mechanical Dolls and Automatons
The Legend of Tugfest
Dr. E is the Editor and A Contributor; proceeds to aid the Buffalo Bill Museum
Emma
Like My Spider
It's Halloween!
Moth
Our Friend
Little Girl with Doll
16th C. Doll
A Jury of her Peeps
"Peep Show" shadow box
Crowded Conditions
Opie Cat's Ancestors
Current Cat still Sleeps on Victorian Doll Bed with Dolls!
First Thanksgiving Dinner
Included goose and swan on the menu!
Autumn Still Life
public domain
Boadicea
The Original Bodacious Woman
Angel Monument
Popular Posts
-
Belated Happy St. Patrick's Day. I have been too sick to enjoy one of my favorite holidays. I didn't even get corned beef, or to w...
-
It is the Solstice, Blessed Be. As they days grow slowly longer, may we also grow to love one another and to learn to live in peace. Holi...
-
Memoir; Writing your Life Story: Solstice, also for Dr. E's Greening Tips for the C... : It is the Solstice; Blessed Be! I look forwar...
-
Happy Halloween; it is my favorite night of the year! We were low key this year, but we did get out our graveyards and pumpkins. A scarecr...
-
Pasta with Mushroom Veloute Sauce, garnished with Hard Boiled Eggs One lb. pasta 2 hardboiled eggs One 6 ounce can cream of chicken sou...
-
Proclamation of Thanksgiving Washington, D.C. October 3, 1863 This is the proclamation which set the precedent for America's national...
-
Look closely at how delicate I am. I am probably a may fly, but I am as detailed as the scarabs from an Egyptian royal tomb. No one a...
-
Top Five Favorite Antique Parian Dolls | Ruby Lane Blog
Total Pageviews
Kiowa Doll
Sketch of children playing
Courtesy, British Museum
Small Dolls, Clay and Cloth
A Goddess
Labels
- I (1)
No comments:
Post a Comment